Friday, May 26, 2017

Fenton Friday: Garlic Scapes and Strawberries

Another wet week at the community garden. I was able to do a bit of weeding. I am battling a horrible Nut Sedge invasion. I fear that will be an ongoing time-suck for years to come.

My once-prolific Strawberries have petered out this year, so I rounded up the remaining babies and re-planting them all at the top of the plot together near the Asparagus.

I dug out the Radish crop and pulled the Peas. This year's pea crop was paltry. These were a dwarf "bush" variety. Next year I will go back to regular climbing peas.

I also pulled the last of the Spinach and snipped off the Garlic Scapes (pictured here).

The rows of Cilantro, Parsley, and Arugula are doing very well. Now, if I can only think of ways to use them up as fast as they are growing!

Some Celosia seedlings from last year's cutting garden have appeared so I plucked them out and put them in a line down the back edge of the plot.

This coming week, the summer interns start and we will plant up many things -- from Peppers to Melons to Okra. I have some Red Cotton seedlings that I am particularly excited about trying out.

What new things are you trying out this year in your edible garden?

About Fenton Friday: 
Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 5th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.)   

2 comments:

  1. Barbara Elkin5:56 PM

    We have continued to harvest lettuce, artwork broccoli spears, kale and scallions,green onions. The hakurei turnips and dragon tongue mustard are done and I look forward to the fall crop. Everything else is growing well except for the ronde nice squash seedlings that gut eaten as soon as they germinated I am hoping all this rain doesn't bring on early disease in the tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Barbara E. Sounds like you have all the makings of a very delicious salad!

    Yes, a too worry a bit about the Tomatoes - but we shall see how summer progresses...

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...