Friday, October 14, 2016

Fenton Friday: Farewell to Tomato Season

Arugala seedlings
We had a touch of frost in the area this week, but my garden was unaffected. Still, it is time to start saying good-bye to my tomatoes and other summer crops.


Red Currant tomatoes
I pulled up the okra, sunflowers, and my lone, experimental corn stalk. All of these have grown unwieldy and annoying. Most of the branches on the sunflowers had already snapped off and hung off the main stalk by skin-threads, though surprisingly they kept on growing.

I yanked out a few tomato plants that were similarly breaking apart and getting in the way. One 'Sun Gold' tomato plant pulled out totally intact, so I took that home to hang in my sunroom to see if the remaining green fruits on it will indeed still ripen up, as I had read they would.

The 'Red Currant' tomatoes I have left alone. They are still producing tons of fruit and we are due for a warm spell next week, so I'll let them stay in until we get a real frost that kills them off.

Elsewhere in the garden plot, the interns re-seeded the radishes and some of the salad greens, where the first round had failed to germinate.

How is your edible garden growing?

About Fenton Friday:
Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 5th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...