Friday, October 23, 2015

Fenton Friday: Closing out the Season

While this week has been mercifully mild, it is coming to the end of the official growing season and we are to have our individual plots cleared out and cleaned up by November 1. We can still continue to grow crops through the winter, if we wish, but many do not at my garden. A few have set up row covers, but mostly as I walked around today, I saw emptied-out beds and a few with freshly sown cover crops.

I have been working this week to pull out the last of the tomato vines and annual flowers (pictured below). My green beans are still producing well, so I'm leaving them up until the last possible second.

Over-wintering in my plot are:
- Calendula (pictured at top)
- Asparagus
- Strawberries
- Garlic
- Chives
- Arugula
- Carrots
- Cauliflower
- Broccoli
- Parsley




This will be my last Fenton Friday report for 2015. Check back in around mid-March 2016, when I plan to kick off the new growing season -- weather-dependent, of course.

 How is your edible garden growing this week?

About Fenton Friday:
Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 4th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...