Friday, September 25, 2015

Fenton Friday: Asparagus Berries

I spent the last week in Pasadena, CA, with the Garden Writers Association at the annual symposium. It was hot and sunny (one day reach 100-degrees!), so my photos aren't ideal and their drought plus Mediterranean climate did not give me much material for relating back to my Mid-Atlantic readers. Overall though, it was a wonderful time and I was introduced to  new-to-me garden edibles -- like California native grapes and Manzanita berry tea.
  
I left in blazing summer and came home to autumn. There is a definite nip in the air now. At my garden plot, the Cherry Tomatoes and Okra are still pumping out their produce.

Meanwhile, my Asparagus (pictured here) are setting seed. The little red seed pods or "berries" look just like the tiny Currant Tomatoes I have growing next to them. The Asparagus seedpods are not toxic, but they are not exactly palatable. Note to self, do not do that next year! I do not think I would every bother culling, drying, and collecting Asparagus seeds, but I read up a bit on it and it seems easy enough to do if one wants to try it.

How is your edible garden growing this week?

About Fenton Friday:
Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 4th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...