Friday, July 24, 2015

Fenton Friday: Stew Fixin's?

This week at my community garden plot, the heat broke and the humidity left. That made gardening do-able again! The downside of that cool front moving is that we are dry-dry-dry and no real rain in sight this coming week either. So looks like we are back to our usual July-August drought period with most of my precious gardening time being allotted to watering enough just to keep things alive and not getting much else done. I did participate in one communal weeding session of our shared pathways earlier this week - no big surprise that only one other gardener showed up for it...

In my own plot, the Okra are quite short (due to planting them so late), but putting on flowers and buds. Also, I pulled out a handful of small Carrots -- they are surprisingly still sweet and tasty. Finally, I think it is time for me to dig up my Potatoes. When I do that, between these three ingredients I could theoretically make one tiny bowl of stew. Ha! As if I would attempt it even! No, instead I'll eat the Carrots and Okra raw as a snack, then see what the Potato dig unearths -- IF there is more than a handful, I may save them for county fair competition.


About Fenton Friday:
Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 4th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...