Friday, July 10, 2015

Fenton Friday: Beans Climb, Tomatoes Leap

The three summer interns planted 'Blue Lake' pole beans on June 24. A week later the beans had sprouted and were 4 inches high. The next week, they were almost 8 inches high and sending out climbing tendrils, so we inserted these poles for them to climb up. Today, just two weeks and two days after we planted the, they are all well over a foot high and reaching much higher. We hoped to have actual green beans for them to eat before going back to school at the end of August. I think we may well make that tight schedule!
Meanwhile, I let several volunteer tomato plants run amok in the middle of my plot and thy are all setting on wonderful cherry-sized fruit. I feel like I should never bother again buying or babying a tomato seedling plant, when I can get all this sweet bounty from basically free plants!

How is your edible garden growing this week?




 

About Fenton Friday:
Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 4th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...