Friday, July 17, 2015

Fenton Friday: Basil Beginning

For various reasons outlined in previous Fenton Friday posts,  I have been very behind planting this summer. The basil seedlings went in only three weeks ago, but they are thriving and I've already pinched them back twice now. I hope to have them big enough by next week so the interns and I can make a nice fresh pesto for our weekly lunches.

I am also picking tomatoes from my garden like crazy -- about 2 cups of cherry-sized fruit a day -- and I'm missing a lot of them as the overripe ones fall off the stems and roll away.

How is your edible garden growing this week?

About Fenton Friday:
Every Friday during the growing season, I'll be giving you an update on my community garden plot at the Fenton Street Community Garden just across the street from my house. I'm plot #16. It is a 10 ft x 20 ft space and this is our 4th year in the garden. (It opened in May 2011.) 

2 comments:

  1. No sign of basil downy mildew? I've had it kill my basil two years in a row now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No signs of it so far this year in my garden plot nor any of my neighbor's plots as far as I can tell. We had a bout of it at the end of last season, but so far are unscathed.

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...