Monday, June 01, 2015

Intern Intros


This summer, I have taken on three editorial interns. If you attend any of our upcoming events, like the DC Plant Swap, you are bound to run into one or more of them. As a first assignment, I asked them to write a short introduction to our readers...

My name is Gaby Galvin (pictured at left) and I am a junior at the University of Maryland in the Phillip Merrill College of Journalism. I’m a multi-platform journalism major with a concentration in sociology. I've been writing all my life, and at UMD I've written for several on campus publications, including Her Campus, the Campus Trainer, and The Odyssey. Right now, I'm the editor-in-chief of The Odyssey, which covers issues relevant to college students and millennials. (You can check out some of my writing here: https://theodysseyonline.com/author/gaby-galvin). I garden a little bit at home in Davidsonville, MD, with my mom and grandparents, and I love being outdoors and taking trips to the beach – I couldn’t be happier that it’s finally summer. I’m very excited to be a part of the Washington Gardener team and learn more about both gardening and magazine publishing. I didn’t realize the local gardening community was so big, so I am really looking forward to attending all of the events coming up, as well as being on board for Washington Gardener’s 10th year running!

Hello Readers. My name is Daven Desai (pictured in middle) and I'm a senior at the University of Maryland, College Park. I am a broadcast journalism student at the Philip Merrill College of Journalism as well. This summer I will also be an editorial intern for Washington Gardener Magazine. I am excited to be writing for this great local publication and I hope my skills as an editor and writer will help take the magazine to a whole new level this summer. In the past I have edited blog posts for readUnwritten.com, a college lifestyle blog for the hip, young collegiate. I have also written scripts, recorded video, and edited footage for news broadcast assignments which can be found on my Vimeo page: https://vimeo.com/user32146734. With all this experience, I look forward to sharing my perspective to the gardening world and hope that our viewers will enjoy reading it. Happy Gardening!

I am Marissa Paiano (pictured at right), a summer intern at Washington Gardener Magazine. Originally from Connecticut, I am a rising junior at the University of Maryland where I am majoring in multi-platform journalism with a minor in business. Over the past few years, I have had a variety of other journalism-related internships. In summer 2013 I was a reporter for a local Connecticut newspaper, The Valley Press. Then in the spring and summer of 2014, I worked as a digital intern for WTOP and a communications intern at the Connecticut Secretary of the State’s Office respectively. I look forward to expanding my knowledge of gardening this summer and working with the other interns!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...