Friday, April 19, 2013

Fenton Friday: Dandelions Out, Potatoes In!

Fenton Community Garden I weeded out a few dandelions as they started to flower and garden folklore tells us that is the best time to plant your potatoes. Elizabeth Olson, our EdibleHarvest columnist for Washington Gardener Magazine, shared part of her potato order with me. I got a few each of Kennebec, All Blue, German Butterball, and Red Norland.
This week at my garden plot in the

I picked a lunch bag full of buttery lettuce that had self-seeded into the back third of the pathways of my plot. I had let one plant bolt (go to seed) last year to bring as a demo for a seed-saving talk I gave. Am so glad I did! This lettuce is so tender and sweet, it practically melts in your mouth.

I noted that all my seedlings are up -- sugarsnap peas, carrots, radishes, and lettuce. I will need to thin them all asap, but as a thunderstorm is rolling in, that will have to wait until early next week. This weekend I'll be at the Leesburg Flower & Garden Festival. If you are there too, come by and say "hi" -- I'm right off the main drag, in space #3 just inside the entrance of the Lightfoot Lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...