Thursday, February 03, 2011

Signs of Spring? Yes! They are there for those who look...

Our winner of the January 2010 Washington Gardener Magazine Reader Contest is winner is Ellen Johnson. She was cosen at random among our entrants who sent in their "Signs of Spring" that they saw in their DC-area gardens. Ellen receives a $70 gift certificate for CSN Stores. CSN Stores has over 200 online stores where you can find everything from stylish furniture, leather messenger bags, or great cookware. CSN (http://www.csnstores.com/) has a patio and garden section that includes decor, outdoor furniture, storage, heating, and lighting.

Here is a sampling of the contest entrees:

Signs of spring in my yard: the buds on my maple tree are just beginning to swell.
- Alexandria Lippincott, University Park, MD

The only sign of spring I can see are swollen buds on the witch hazel (Hamamelis x intermedia "Jelena". It should start blooming soon. It's the first thing to bloom each year, much earlier than crocus.
- Maureen Dissinger, Sykesville, MD

I have a few tulips popping up already (although I'm worried they poked out too soon)!
- Emily Adamson

Signs of spring in my garden are the big fat buds on the dogwoods...can't wait. It's such a thrill every year - but especially today when everything is covered in ice.
- Ellen Johnson, Greenbelt, MD

Signs of spring in my garden? Indoors, my Phalaenopsis is blooming, and outdoors at Mr. Yogato, my fall-blooming Crocus' leaves are peaking out from under the leaf-litter mulch. Not much else going on quite yet!
- Kenneth Moore, Washington, DC

Signs of Spring in my garden-- NONE at the moment! Ground is frozen solid, and my compost pile is piling up as it is working SLOW. But perhaps some sign of Spring will show itself soon....
- Madeline Caliendo, WDC

I have posted a Facebook album of "Sings of Spring" in my own garden that were taken today. What signs of spring are YOU seeing in your garden?

1 comment:

  1. Im finding daffodils and crocus poking their stems out of the snow....Ive also found some fat dogwood buds and red bud buds on my trees..The flowering quince bush also has a several fat buds.

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...