Thursday, April 16, 2009

May It Never Happen To YOU

I woke up Wednesday morning to the dreaded black screen on my computer. Not just one hard drive had crashed, but also its twin! I tried not to panic too badly at the ramifications of the lost work and had several events to attend over the past 36 hours to take my mind off the disaster. This afternoon Cassio from Geek Techs (my new hero) was able to recover my computer up to the point of two months ago. Cassio has now installed redundant back-ups and assures me the nightmare is over for now. That is the good news.

The bad news is everything I'd been working on for the April 15 issue of the
Washington Gardener Enewsletter and the May/June issue of the Washington Gardener Magazine is GONE. I'm trying to recover what files I can from old emails and such, but that is patchy at best.

If you have sent me files for book reviews, event releases, or other content for our publications in the past 6-8 weeks, please re-send them to me in the next few days.

So now I try to reconstruct several weeks of work and stick to our original deadline dates as best I can. I'm off to have ice cream for dinner and watch the NBC comedies for serious stress relief.

4 comments:

  1. It did happen to me two summers ago and I cried and cried...mainly about the lost photographs...and the hell I went through in the emergency service I hired. I feel for ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have my condolences. And not that it's any comfort, but here's my favorite Doug Adams quote: "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Fire & Cube -- I'm now at Leesburg Flower & Garden Fest all weekend - such glorious weather and with family & friends so I can ignore the computer thing and deadlines for now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:17 AM

    Wow.. i like gardening..nice blog
    Thanks for sharing..@@

    ___________________
    Jessica
    Get 28 movie channels for 3 months free

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...