Saturday, November 29, 2008

Feeling Fruity

I know you probably can't even stand one more word about food or eating after this holiday weekend of gorging and leftovers, but over at the DC Urban Gardeners blog is a good summary of growing fruit in the metro area.
One tree not mentioned in the piece is the Mulberry. Perhaps because they have done far, far too well in our urban neighborhoods and their fruit is now considered more a curse than a treat. We always disdain what is commonplace and yearn for what we cannot have. Witness that every winter, about the end of January, I find myself in a garden center eyeing the fruiting lemon trees. Oh, how tempting they are - with that luscious smell, those glossy leaves! Yet, I pull myself away, knowing how quickly they'd die in my home, and move on to the displays of more hardy plants that will stand a chance for me.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Gifts for Gardeners ~ Gardening Gifts ~ Cool Gardening Gift Ideas

Today is Amazon Prime Day, so I thought I'd again share the garden products I use almost every day. These are the tried-and-true w...